FC Tucson scored two and goalkeeper Hope Hisey made a stellar penalty save, but SC del Sol came back late to ensure a 2-2 draw between the two teams at Kino North Stadium on Sunday.
FC Tucson got on the scoresheet in the 28th minute when forward Ashly Martinez jumped on a rebounded shot from midfielder Caitlyn Maher and slammed it into the net.
A chance came for SC del Sol in the 58th minute when a forward was taken down in the box and the team was awarded a penalty. The SC del Sol forward sent the ball towards the bottom right corner, but a diving save from FC Tucson goalkeeper Hope Hisey thwarted the chance.
A long ball sent Ellie Robinson on a quick break in the 85th minute, she sent a low cross to Kate Connelly who easily tapped it in to double Tucson’s lead.
SC del Sol scored two quick goals in the 89th and 93rd minutes to bring the game level.
- 28′ – TUC – Ashly Martinez
- 85′ – TUC – Kate Connelly (Ellie Robinson)
- 89′ – SDS – Olivia Nguyen
- 93′ – SDS – Aubrie Labno (Lauren Kirberg)
- TUC – 5 – Hope Hisey
- SDS – 1 – Jordan Ferguson
- TUC – 5
- SDS – 5
- TUC – 39′ – Ellie Robinson
- SDS – None
- “Disappointed at the end, allowing them to come back when we’re up two to zero. I have to give it to del Sol, they kept pressing us and creating chances and opportunities. Hope came up with a huge save, we had two good goals and created a lot of opportunities but we couldn’t find that third one. ” – FC Tucson Head Coach Kelly Pierce
- I think we played well, we’re getting better and there’s more chemistry building between the team. I think we’re playing decent soccer, it’s just minimizing the mistakes that we’re making.” – FC Tucson Head Coach Kelly Pierce
- “She plays at ASU, so I’ve scouted her for about four years now. I had a gut feeling that she was going to go that way. I had to just trust in my instincts.” – FC Tucson goalkeeper Hope Hisey
- In its next match, FC Tucson (3-2-0 with 11 points) welcomes Atomic City FC to Kino North Stadium on Friday, June 24. (BUY TICKETS)